Antigonish Community Energy was formed in 2014 by a group of local citizens concerned about the lack of a clear policy framework for making decisions about how we get and use energy in the future. After a series of meetings and policy workshops a community energy planning process was started, early in 2016, with leadership from a broad range of stakeholders and open to anyone interested in participating.
Mission statement: To promote methods of energy production and consumption that reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and ensure a healthy environment and economy for all.
- Be open, inclusive, transparent, and respectful.
- Follow through on the commitments we make.
- Encourage innovation and creativity.
- Rely on science-based decision-making.
- Respect the environment.
- Seek social justice.
- Do the least amount of harm.
- Recognize that we are on unceded Mi’kmaq land.